Pregnancy Anxiety Levels and Related Factors in Women Undergoing Caesarean Section

Leo Simanjuntak, Patrick Anando Simanjuntak


Abstract: Anxiety is the most common psychiatric disorder in pregnancy. Anxiety in pregnancy is related to preterm labor, fetal growth restriction, and poor neurobehavioral development. Anxiety before cesarean section can increase the need for anesthesia, postoperative analgesics, and cause an immunocompromised condition. This study aimed to assess the maternal anxiety level and related factors during caesarean section. This is a cross-sectional study using primary data from a private maternity clinic in April-May 2020. Based on defined criteria, 117 subjects were recruited for this study. Anxiety levels are assessed using the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAM-A). Logistic regression was used to identify factors associated with anxiety level. age was 29.445.90 years. The mean HAM-A score was 9.905.80 points. High scoring HAM-A components were the anxious mood component (1.560.74), insomnia (sleep disturbance) (1.400.67), and tension (1.380.73). A majority of the pregnant women (76.9%) showed no anxiety about undergoing caesarean section. The rest of these pregnant women (23.1%) showed mild anxiety (13.7%) and moderate anxiety (9.4%). There was no statistically significant correlation between age, education background, income level, parity level, occupation, and history of caesarean section. Adequate analgesics, family support, and informative and educative advice about caesarean section can make pregnant women not worried about this procedure.

Keywords:Anxiety; Pregnancy; Caesarian Section; HAM-A


Anxiety; Pregnancy; Caesarean section; HAM-A

Full Text:



Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 25th ed.New York: McGraw-Hill; 2018

Betran AP, Torloni MR, Zhang J, et al. What is the optimal rate of caesarean section at population level? A systematic review of ecologic studies. Reprod Health 2015; 12: 57 doi:10.1186/s12978-015-0043-6. PMID: 26093498; PMCID: PMC4496821.

Kementerian Kesehatan RI. Laporan Nasional Riskesdas 2018. Jakarta: Lembaga Penerbit Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan; 2019.

Sun Y, Huang K, Hu Y, Yan S, Xu Y, Zhu P, et al. Pregnancy-specific anxiety and elective cesarean section in primiparas: A cohort study in China. Plos One. 2019;14(5)

Pawatte I, Pali C, Opod H. Perbedaan Tingkat Kecemasan pada Ibu Pre Seksio Caesarea di RSIA Kasih Ibu dan RSUP Prof. R. D. Kandou Manado. Jurnal Kedokteran Komunitas dan Tropik. 2013Aug;1(3):10712.

Bandini, Jaffar N, Lumbanraja SN, Khuwailid A, Hasibuan IZ, Prabudi MO. Anxiety level measured at term pregnant with scale questionnaire Hamilton (HAM-A) based on factor characteristics. The Journal of Medical School. 2014Apr;47(1):58.

Olieman R, Siemonsma F, Bartens M, Garthus-Niegel S, Scheele F, Honig A. The effect of an elective cesarean section on maternal request on peripartum anxiety and depression in women with childbirth fear: a systematic review. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2017;17(1) doi: 10.1186/s12884-017-1371-z.




  • There are currently no refbacks.


Gedung Kampus 1 UMSU, Fakultas Kedokteran, Universitas Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara | UMSU

Lantai II,Laboratorium Farmakologi dan Terapi FK UMSU-Jalan Gedung Arca No. 53 Medan-Sumatera Utara ,

Kode Pos 20217 Kontak: 0812-6208-2844,E-mail:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Statcounter View My Stats Buletin Farmatera